Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Internet, Social Media, and Society

So I've kinda noticed something about the Internet, particularly Facebook. Maybe I'm just imagining things, but it seems like people on Facebook and the Internet have been a lot more honest in voicing controversial opinions. So I have to ask if the Internet is making people braver.

One thing I've thought of with cultural revolutions in that they rely on strength in numbers. The more people there are voicing an opinion, the less likely it is to get silenced or ignored.

As I was thinking about this earlier today, I wondered something. Does Facebook attract a braver and more bawdy audience, or does the influence of Facebook make people braver and more honest? The answer's probably somewhere in between. That is, you have brave people start the trend, but one it starts it spreads like wildfire.

So what does this mean for the future of humanity? I don't know, but I'll be watching with anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment